Museum Rundown

During my time in Oslo, I visited many museums, including the Folk Museum, Viking Ship Museum, Munch Museum, and Modern Art Museum. Thought I'd give a quick overview of the main attractions at each one. 

Norsk Folkemuseum (Norwegian Folk Museum)


The Folk Musuem was a recreation of pre-industrial Norwegian society, shedding a spotlight on the rural class. The basis of the rural economy was farming and craftsmanship. The open-air museum attempted to shed light on the rural lifestyle of Norwegian farmers by replicating a typical village from the 17th century. Pictures below of traditional farmhouses, churches, and the open-air musuem.
Quaint, peaceful countryside scenery. 
The architecture of the farmhouses and the entire village made me feel like I was lost within a Game of Thrones episode...
Small towns started curbing into rural societies - what some of the first "Old Towns" looked like... 
Distilleries started making their ways into the towns and alcohol had to be rationed, creating chaos and crowds when doors were open.

 The Gol Stave Church - the main attraction of the Folke Museum. Dated back to 1212, the church was almost demolished when King Oscar II moved it from the mountain village of Gol, Hallingdal in 1880 to preserve Norwegian architecture and culture. 
Inside the church - the Last Supper very artistically designed at the altar.

Vikingskips Huset (Viking Ship Museum)


I was really excited to go to the Viking Ship Musuem, because Viking lifestyle and history has always fascinated me. The Viking Age lasted from about 800 to 1050 A.D., during which time the Norsemen were the lord of the seas. The Vikings were excellent ship builders and sailors, allowing them to make long sea voyages and visit almost the entire Northern hemisphere. 

The Viking society was divided into classes, with the ships (pictures below) available only to the upper and merchant classes.
The two biggest Viking ship excavations are housed in this museum: the Osberg Ship and Gokstad Ship . Viking burial procedures included burying the dead inside the ships along with grave gifts, such as valuables and necessary items for the "afterlife." When the ships were discovered, archaeologists found skeletons, chests, and other artifacts (ie. tools, clothes, utensils), but no gold, silver, or other valuables. Their best guess is that grave robbers of the time found the burial sites and stole jewelry and other expensive items many years ago. 

Munch Museet (Munch Museum)


No doubt you've heard of Edvard Munch's famous Scream. This Norwegian artist has a museum erected in his honor in Oslo, housing his life's work and some of his most famous exhibits, including the Scream. Munch was a deeply troubled soul (as artists go) and his works reflect the intense emotions within. Through his art, he reflects deeply on the environment around him - taking on inspiration from animals, plant life, and religion. His works explore intense biological concepts such as metamorphosis, crystallization, metabolism, immortality, and photosynthesis. A few of my favorite pieces from the museum...

One of Munch's many interpretations of Madonna:

Munch's palette:

 Methods of paint-making in Munch's time. Every color is made with different natural elements for the purest and most authentic quality of a particular color:

Munch's self-portrait...a very renowned and popular piece:

My personal favorite in the Museum - a piece called Kvinne med valmuer (Woman with Poppies):

Last, but not least...the Scream. Photography of the original piece was not allowed, so you'll have to make do with a picture of my postcard...
"I was out walking with two friends - the sun began to set - suddenly the sky turned blood red - I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence - there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue black fjord and the city - my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety - and I sensed an endless scream passing through nature."
- Edvard Munch

The Munch Museum was also connected to a botanical garden that I walked through. Pictures of beautiful colorful tulips, my favorite flower...

Astrup Fearnley Museet (Oslo's Museum of Modern Art)


Without question, Astrup Fearnley was my absolute favorite museum in Oslo. In fact, it might be the most favorite museum I have ever visited! I loved the modern architecture of the building, the exhibits, the depth with which they were described, and the unique quality of all the artists. 

Set up right on the harbor/beach/coast, the location of the museum itself was a gorgeous sight. 

To spare you all from the agony of the billion pictures I took, here are a few snaps of exhibits and pieces I enjoyed most:
 

The following pictures are of my favorite exhibit in the museum...a room full of white-framed photos depicting many different people going about their lives - through happiness, sadness, partying, fashion, vacations, adventures, and everyday lifestyles. I loved how stylish the setup was - completely filled with character. 

More exhibits...

Finishing off this post with an interpretation of the Incredible Hulk!
Hope you stayed with me through all of the museums!
Until next time...xoxo




Comments

  1. I love all your posts and especially the one on Norway! I've always wanted to visit the Scandinavian countries and your blog along with the beautiful photos gave me a brilliant idea of the place. I'm longing to visit the place even more now.
    Great work with the blog!
    Travel more, travel safe and blog on! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad you like it. Hope you keep reading and following :)

      Delete
  2. Love the fact that you have posted so much about artsy stuff. So quaint. So charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @pattanisundal - so glad you enjoyed it! I'm exploring a newfound interest in modern art and the Astrup Fearnley Museet in Oslo was the perfect beginning. Thank you for reading and following :) Do subscribe to my posts if you haven't already!

      Delete
  3. Amazing. Reading tru with so many pictures makes me feel like i m looking tru the eye of the traveling. Blog on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woooooowwwwww!!! Hatts offf to you Prithvi !! You are really amazing no words to express !! Great fan of yours here !!! First of all,you did a great job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have any posts about thailand ? I hope you visited thailand and i have no idea about that place and im going to visit this november.It would be great if you could tell me something about thailand,some famous eats and places to go so on.....hope you will !! :) and i wanted to ask this question why were your shoes glowing in one picture that was taken in norway with the chef (pink nike shoe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and for your kind words! I haven't been to Thailand, but hope to go there one day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts